Ram 1500 Gets The EcoDiesel Back!
Ram 1500 Gets The EcoDiesel Back!
The heated battle for truck supremacy continues to rage in the ½ ton pickup segment. This time, it’s Ram that, once again, ups the ante with the unveiling of their long awaited update to the EcoDiesel engine. And, you guessed it, there is more power on tap than ever before!
This should serve as a prelude to what is coming – an all-out battle between the Big-3 truck manufacturers for ½ ton diesel supremacy. Ram strikes with more power breathing from the revised 3.0L V6 EcoDiesel. This much loved engine is in its third generation, and it comes with a host of improvements over Gen 2.
Those improvements include a revised turbocharger, redesigned cylinder head intake ports, increased compression ratio, redesigned direct-injection fuel injector nozzles, new aluminum pistons, and many more features. All together, the engine produces 260 horsepower (at 3600 rpm) and 480 lb.-ft of torque (at just 1600 rpm), and it is available in a host of Ram 1500 truck models.
As with any 2020 Ram ½ ton truck, you can expect a very high quality interior with that oh-so-sleek looking exterior shell. Pricing and availability have yet to be announced, but keep checking back for more information as it is released!
More from FCA USA…
New 2020 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is America’s Half-ton Diesel Torque Leader: 480 lb.-ft. of Torque
- New Ram 1500 EcoDiesel produces highest half-ton diesel torque, achieving 480 lb.-ft. and highest available half-ton diesel towing capacity at 12,560 pounds
- EcoDiesel-powered Ram Rebel offered for first time
- Ram pickups own the top spots in torque ratings with 480 lb.-ft. (light duty) and 1,000 lb.-ft. (heavy duty)
- Class-exclusive air suspension enhances fuel economy, improves ride control and off-road capability, along with entry/exit and loading, and features automatic load leveling
The 2020 Ram 1500 will become America’s most powerful half-ton diesel pickup, with 480 lb.-ft. of torque, and most capable light-duty diesel, with towing capability up to 12,560 pounds. The all-new third-generation 3.0-liter V-6 EcoDiesel is also expected to lead the segment on fuel economy.
“The new Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is America’s most powerful half-ton diesel pickup, following up on Ram’s Heavy Duty torque leadership and achieving what no other manufacturer has, with up to 480 lb.-ft. of torque in a 3.0-liter engine,” said Reid Bigland, Head of Ram Brand. “The all-new EcoDiesel engine and our eTorque mild-hybrid powertrain technologies deliver the highest available fuel efficiency for our Ram 1500 customers.”
The 2020 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is available in all models and configurations, including a first-time offering in the Ram Rebel. The 2020 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel will go on sale in the fourth quarter of 2019. Pricing and fuel economy ratings will be announced closer to the truck’s on-sale date.
The 2019 Ram 1500 Classic is also offered with the optional second-generation 3.0-liter EcoDiesel.
All-new EcoDiesel Engine The third generation of the turbocharged 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 delivers increased torque and horsepower, along with superb fuel economy and minimal levels of noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) to meet the needs of Ram 1500 owners.
In the 2020 Ram 1500, the 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 is rated at a best-in-class 480 lb.-ft. of torque at 1,600 rpm, a 14 percent increase from the previous-generation EcoDiesel V-6 that peaks 400 rpm earlier. Horsepower increases 8 percent to 260 hp at 3,600 rpm.
Several significant changes contribute to the new EcoDiesel’s improved dynamic and fuel economy performance.
- A new-generation water-cooled turbocharger with variable geometry turbine (VGT) increases efficiency and responsiveness during transient conditions
- Redesigned cylinder head intake ports improve swirl and flow, increasing performance and fuel economy
- The exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system design has been updated to a dual loop (low and high pressure) system. The added low-pressure circulation system draws gases after the diesel particulate filter, thus minimizing turbocharger energy losses, which increases fuel economy
- The compression ratio has been optimized to 16.0:1 from 16.5:1
- High-pressure (29,000 psi/2,000 bar) direct-injection fuel injector nozzles were redesigned to match the newly designed and optimized combustion chamber
- Lightweight aluminum alloy pistons were completely redesigned to include thinner rings and low-friction coating on the pin and side skirts to reduce losses
- NVH has been reduced by offsetting piston pin by 0.3 millimeters from the centerline; thus, minimizing mechanical noises
- The lower portion of the two-piece oil sump uses a lightweight sandwiched polymer/metal material that further reduces NVH
- The dual vacuum pump system uses electric and a new mechanical low-friction pump with new blades that improve overall system efficiency The upgrades build on the EcoDiesel V-6’s previous success, the attributes and performance of which made it a winner of "Wards 10 Best Engines" for three consecutive years (2014, 2015, 2016).
The 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 uses dual overhead camshafts (DOHC) with four valves per cylinder and a 60-degree angle between the cylinder banks. The block is cast with compacted graphite iron, which provides strength to dampen vibrations, but weighs less than grey cast iron. A compacted graphite iron bedplate adds rigidity to the block.
The EcoDiesel V-6 uses a forged steel crankshaft and connecting rods for strength and durability. The aluminum alloy pistons are cooled on the underside via oil jets. Heat-treated aluminum cylinder heads use individual bearing caps to reduce friction and minimize NVH. The chain-driven overhead camshafts employ roller-finger followers.
The 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 is produced at the FCA Cento facility in Ferrara, Italy.
Ram 1500 The 2020 Ram 1500 is the no-compromise benchmark for durability, technology, efficiency and convenience with features never-before offered in a pickup. The Ram 1500 features up to 12,750 pounds of towing capability (5.7-liter HEMI® V-8) and 2,300 pounds of payload. Ram’s eTorque mild hybrid system delivers improved fuel efficiency in both V-6 (standard) and V-8 configurations. As the segment leader, the new Uconnect 4C with a massive 12-inch touchscreen leads the pickup world in technology, featuring split-screen capability, 360-degree camera views and exclusive content from SiriusXM with 360L. Active safety and security systems include adaptive cruise control, Forward Collision Warning, Blind-spot Monitoring and Ready Alert Braking. Class-leading ride and handling is accomplished via a class-exclusive link-coil rear suspension system with optional Active-level four-corner air suspension. The 2020 Ram 1500 also features twice the interior storage capacity versus the competition.
Unsurpassed Powertrain Warranty – Five Years/100,000 Miles The 2020 Ram 1500 is backed with the five-year /100,000-mile Powertrain Limited Warranty, which covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair a covered powertrain component – engine, transmission and drive system.
The standard three-year/36,000-mile Basic Limited Warranty provides bumper-to-bumper coverage for the Ram 1500, from the body to the electrical system.
Manufacturing The 2020 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is built at the Sterling Heights Assembly Plant (SHAP) in Sterling Heights, Michigan.