Welcome to Hollister Hills State Vehicular Recreation Area. Hollister Hills offers recreation for motorcyclists, 4-wheelers, picnickers, and campers in the Gabilan Mountains just an hour’s drive from San Jose. Park elevations range from 660 feet to 2,425 feet.
The Upper Ranch
This 800-acre area, which has about 24 miles of trails, is used for 4-wheel drive recreation and for 4-wheel drive and motorcycle special events; a fenced motocross track is also located here. Four-wheel drive operators should call before coming, especially on weekends, to make sure that the area isn’t reserved for a special event. To use the area for the day, register first at the park office. If your vehicle gets stuck or breaks down, you are responsible for removing it. The Upper Ranch may be accessed for day use from 8 a.m. to sunset. Vehicle operation is allowed only between sunrise and sunset.
The Lower Ranch
This 2,400-acre area, set aside for motorcycle and ATV use only, has about 64 miles of trails and several hill climbs. There are also two picnic areas, a practice Motocross Track, an ATV Track for three and four wheeled vehicles, a TT track, a mini-bike trail, and a mini-track. Washracks are located in Camping, and Day-Use Area. Riding is allowed from sunrise to sunset.
The Upper Ranch has one family campground, Sycamore, which accommodates about 60 people, and has water and flush toilets. Fires are allowed in fire rings only. Bring your own wood or purchase it at the park store. The Lower Ranch has 4 family campgrounds with water and flush toilets. Dogs must be kept on leashes at all times.
Four-wheel drive and motorcycle clubs can periodically reserve the Upper Ranch for special events. The area may be closed to individuals when a special event is in progress. Contact the park office to obtain more information on special events. Area 5 can be reserved for certain special events. It accommodates up to 300 people.
Current California off-road vehicle registration (green and red stickers) or highway registration are required at all times when operating OHVs on public lands. Funds generated from OHV registration along with a portion of the state gas tax are used for the acquisition, development, and operation of OHV areas throughout California.
OHV "RULES OF THE ROAD"
You are responsible to know park rules and regulations. All provisions of the California Vehicle Code are enforced.
- Speed limit is 15 mph within 50 feet of a campground, campsite, or concentration of people or animals. California's Basic Speed Law applies: Don't drive faster than is safe for conditions.
- Speed limit is 25 mph on the main park roads (those used by other vehicles as well as motorcycles).
- You may not drive a motor vehicle on a trail (CVC 38305) or a highway (CVC 22350) at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent and in no event at a speed that endangers the safety of other persons or their property.
- All California Vehicle Code laws pertaining to driving under the influence or open containers of alcholol apply to off-road. DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE.
- Motor vehicles must stay out of vegetated areas. Stay on trails and obey all signs.
- ATV operators under the age of 18 must possess an appropriate safety certificate or be supervised by an adult who possess a safety certificate.
- All sections included in Division 16.5 of the California Vehicle Code "Off-Highway Vehicles" apply in the designated OHV area.
- Please help us be good neighbors by staying within designated riding areas.
- All ATV riders must wear a helmet.
- No passengers are allowed on three or four-wheeled ATVs.
- Off-Highway Vehicle operation, riding or driving, is allowed only between sunrise and sunset.
- Odysseys and Pilots must have a Whip and Flag to operate in the Upper Ranch. The Whip must extend eight feet from the ground to the top when the vehicle is stopped and a Flag (minimum 6" by 12") must be attached within 10 inches from the top.
- Dog's must be kept on leashes at all times.
- Riding double on dirt bikes is not allowed.
- OHV's must have a U.S. Forest Service Approved Spark Arrestor in good working order in place at all times.