Located in the Mojave Desert of Southern California, Stoddard Valley Off-Highway Vehicle Area offers a diverse landscape for off-highway vehicle recreation. It is characterized by steep rocky mountains, rolling hills, open valleys, and winding sandy washes.
Elevations range from 5,000 feet on Stoddard Peak, to 2,800 feet at Turtle Valley. Vegetation consists of creosote scrub, annual grasses, wild flowers and the Joshua tree; a symbol of the Mojave Desert.
Most area visitors ride motorcycles or ATVs, or tour the area in four-wheel drive vehicles. The easily accessed areas off Sidewinder Road (Outlet Center Drive exit on I-15) are used extensively for OHV free play.
This area is used extensively for competitive racing events by permit. There are many occasions for hiking, rock scrambling, rock hounding, and plant, bird and wildlife watching. The desert tortoise, a state and federally listed threatened species, are found within the riding area.
NOTE: Deep mine shafts exist in the riding area! Please avoid these areas and stay away from mine shafts!
Rules and Regulations
- Camping is allowed anywhere within the riding area that does not block travel on a road. Camping is limited to a 14 day stay.
- Draining of holding tanks, littering and trash dumping is prohibited. Please take your trash out with you. Thank You.
- All vehicles must have a muffler or spark arrester and have either a street-legal license or be registered as an off-highway vehicle.
- Vehicles operated at night must have head and tail lights.
- Helmets are required on all ATVs! Passengers are not permitted on ATVs.
- Digging or destroying trees and shrubs or harassing wildlife or livestock is prohibited.
- The desert tortoise is a federally protected species. Please do not handle or disturb these animals. Look but don't touch!
- It is illegal to damage or destroy archeological sites or remove artifacts
SHOOTING IS NOT ALLOWED IN THE STODDARD VALLEY OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLE AREA (except for shotguns during hunting season).
No Garbage Collection in this area. Please "pack it in - pack it out".
Possession of or burning wood containing nails, screws or metal hardware is prohibited.